The Directorate for Mathematical and Physical Sciences (MPS) announces a nationwide search to fill the position of Deputy Division Director (DDD), Division of Mathematical Sciences. Appointment to this Excepted Service position will be Permanent EE basis, with a salary range of $174,225 to $194,516. Alternatively, the incumbent may be assigned under the Intergovernmental Personnel Act (IPA) provisions.
The mission of the NSF Division of Mathematical Sciences (DMS) is to support research at the frontiers of discovery in mathematical sciences, and to support education in the mathematical sciences through research involvement of trainees. DMS is responsible for programs with a total annual budget of over $230 million. These programs support research and education that expand the knowledge base of the mathematical sciences through awards to individual investigators and small groups, workforce training grants, and a portfolio of national mathematical sciences research institutes.
The successful candidate serves as member of the DMS leadership team and works with the Division Director in providing leadership and management to the Division’s programs and assists the Division Director in carrying out Division-wide responsibilities such as the preparation of budget submissions for Congress, oversight and management of the Division budgets, and the recruitment of scientific staff. The incumbent also supervises and provides leadership and guidance to administrative and support personnel within the Division. Externally, the Deputy Division Director represents the Division in a variety of MPS-wide, NSF-wide, and interagency activities related to research and education, and in interactions with the community. The Deputy Division Director assumes the Division Director’s role in the absence of the Division Director.
For more information about vacancy announcement MPS-EXEC-2021-0006 and to apply online visit https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/PrintPreview/590852200. Applicants may also obtain the announcement by contacting the Executive Personnel Staff, 703-292-4416. Hearing impaired individuals may call TDD 703-292-8044. Applications must be received by the closing date.
NSF is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing
a highly qualified staff that reflects the diversity of our nation.
EXECUTIVE/MANAGERIAL (E/Ms): Unless you are currently under a career SES appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into SES, or have successfully completed a SES Candidate Development Program approved by OPM, you must submit written statements (narrative format) describing accomplishments that would satisfy the E/Ms. If you fail to do so, you will be rated as "ineligible."
1. Leading Change. This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent in this E/M is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People. This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent in this E/M is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results-Driven Leadership. This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent in this E/M is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen. This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions. This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, non-profit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL (P/Ts): All applicants must submit written statements (narrative format) of accomplishments that would satisfy the P/T qualifications. You must address each P/T qualification separately.
Education, strongly preferred at the Ph.D. level, or equivalent professional experience, or a combination of education and equivalent experience in mathematics or statistics or a closely related field.
Substantial research contributions and strong evidence of scholarship in areas related to mathematical sciences as evidenced by publications, innovative leadership in research administration, and professional leadership and awards in these technical areas.
Skill in balancing complex and diverse program demands and available resources in response to major advances or changing needs of science and engineering research and technology.
Broad understanding of universities and other institutions where research and education in science and engineering is conducted, including knowledge of grant administration and fiscal management with experience in mathematical sciences research support.
Telecommuting is allowed.
About National Science Foundation
NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION
BACK TO TOP
The Computer Society Jobs site is the go-to destination for job seekers, employers, and recruiters for openings in both industry and academia in the field of computer science and engineering. You will find a robust list of jobs and talent for the latest assistant, associate, and full professor roles. You will also find careers in specialized disciplines like information technology, software engineering, information systems, computer systems, programming, computer design, security and encryption, networking and communications, hardware, data structures, and more! Find a job here as a cybersecurity and privacy manager, business intelligence analyst, applications developer, consultant, programmer, or cloud technology specialist.